Download the Practicum Timeline 2020-2021
Practicum Timeline for Partner Organizations: September 2020 – March 2021
September 16th, 2020
- Partners meeting held virtually via Zoom at 12PM (PST). Link to follow.
Mid September to mid October
- Students may contact organizations to discuss projects further.
- Students submit cover letters and resumes to organizations by October 2.
- Organizations invite students for interviews October 5-9.
- Organizations are asked to contact FNIS with feedback on the interviews, including top choice of students and any concerns.
- Organizations will be notified whether or not they have a pairing with a practicum student by October 18.
Mid October to early November
- Students and organizations begin discussing research projects and move towards an agreed-upon research proposal that includes clear timeline and deliverables. First draft due October 21. Finalized draft due October 29.
- Agreements between each student and organization are signed and projects commence by November 6.
- Students begin working with organizations and sending their supervisor weekly reports.
- If the project does not require ethics approval for work with people, the research can start right away.
- If the project does include research with people, students work on aspects of the project that do not involve interviews, focus groups, surveys, etc. For example, students can work on literature reviews, relationship building, and planning toward research.
- Students work on the UBC Behavioural Research Ethics Board (BREB) application for human research, if required. BREB applications are due November 20 and must be approved before invitations, interviews, surveys or other research activity can begin.
- Projects that require internal approval from an organization or community (ex. a research agreement with a Nation to conduct research within the community) must be completed before submitting the UBC BREB application.
Early December to late January
- Students begin interviews, focus groups, surveys, etc. (upon receiving ethics approval) in early December to early January.
- Arrangements are made to visit practicum organizations.
- Projects move towards completion. Final deliverables are due to the organization on March 3. Organizations will be asked to file evaluations (as specified in the proposal) by March 28.
Students present the findings of the research project at UBC, partner organizations, community members and to any other individuals (as identified in the project proposal) on Wednesday, March 31 at 12PM (PST).